I thought our tree was completely decorated until I heard these words. “Mom you forgot to put our new ornament on our tree.” How did I forget? We had been looking forward to adding our new Heart of Haiti Ornament on our tree. We absolutely love ornaments that add meaning, to our tree.
This ornament was made exclusively for the holidays, by artisans in Haiti, courtesy of Macy’s Heart of Haiti.
I am proud to say that I have participated in a few of the Macy’s Heart of Haiti campaigns. Every piece I have received, I love and cherish. Every piece is made with great detail and quality. But, I love the history of the pieces. These are gifts that give hope.
- Shortly after the January 12, 2010 earthquake, Macy’s went to Haiti and realized that despite the devastation, there was an artist community that existed and they were eager to bring their product to the market.
- They launched a product line for sale at Macys.com and in stores which to date has employed 500 artists,
- When you employ one artist in Haiti, the entire community benefits. Over 500 artists employed benefiting over 3,000 members of their extended family.
- To put this into perspective, the average Haitian’s annual income is only $400 – for a year! Add to that, Haiti has an estimated 400,000 artisans (out of a 10M population) who rely soley on their handcrafted goods a source of income. No other sector of employment even approaches such numbers.
- Macy’s paved the way in helping to rebuild this important sector of fragile economy.
- Heart of Haiti can be found and followed on social media at @HeartofHaiti on Twitter andwww.facebook.com/HeartofHaiti
Heart of Haiti has a wide selection of high quality products that are great holiday gifts that are allowing you to give back, while giving a gift during the holidays. Purchases can be made at Macy’s Gifts That Give Hope.
As Heart of Haiti collection grows, I can honestly say that I receive many compliments from house guests and it feels good telling them where I got them from.
I am glad my family is bringing Haiti home for the holidays.
Disclosure: I am a member of the Everywhere Society and they provided me with this product for review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Don’t be afraid to be free!!!