The holidays has been filled with many indulgences. My family tried not to over indulge and opted to incorporate healthier options over the holidays. We received samples of Wyman’s Wild Blueberries.
Having an opportunity to sample Wyman’s fresh/frozen fruits came right on time. We usually have a daily smoothie, but we found that we were falling into the holiday trap of lots of cooking and lots of eating. We were not making our smoothies. Although, there are many things you can do with Wyman’s Wild Blueberries we made Wild blueberry and cranberry frozen fruit smoothie before the big feasts and will continue to do so thereafter. They were refreshing and just what we needed.
I like to maintain a healthy body all season and have been trying do so with brands and recipes like Wyman’s wild blueberry recipes.
Filling your plate high with all your festive favorites has always been an important holiday ritual, but a helping of cholesterol with a side of fat can really take a toll on the heart. Time for a new tradition. Incorporate wild blueberries into your tasty holiday dishes to keep your heart pumping and give you the boost you need to plow through the season.
New research from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows wild blueberries have the potential to improve heart health. Researchers from Germany’s University of Dusseldorf and the United Kingdom’s University of Reading and University of Northumbria concluded that wild blueberries may help blood vessels function better and remain healthier, thus relieving pressure on the heart.
But a healthy heart is not the only reason to snack on Wyman’s wild blueberries. These super fruits pack a big punch in their health benefits including:
• High in fiber – One cup of wild blueberries contains 6.2 grams of dietary fiber. That is 25% of your recommended Daily Value (DV). Fiber reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, obesity and type 2 diabetes. It also regulates blood cholesterol levels.
• High in manganese – One cup of wild blueberries provides 200% DV of manganese, a trace mineral that helps bones develop.
• Relieves eye strain – Some European and Asian countries call wild blueberries the “vision fruit,” importing millions of pounds of wild blueberries a year.
• High in potassium – This vitamin is important in helping combat high blood pressure, a risk factor for heart disease. It may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help decrease bone loss.
• High in vitamin C – Vitamin C is important for growth and repair of all body tissues and helps to keep teeth and gums healthy.
• High in folate (folic acid) – The folate in wild blueberries helps the body form red blood cells and helps reduce the risk of birth defects.
All Wyman’s fresh fruit is IQF (Individual Quick Frozen) within 24 hours of harvest, locking in fresh fruit flavor and character. Wyman’s freezes the berries quickly to prevent the slow growth of ice crystals inside the fruit, which expand and destroy the cell structure. This leads to mushy berries once they are thawed. A Wyman’s wild blueberry thawed and served will taste as fresh as the day it was picked. The FDA has concluded that frozen fruits and vegetables are just as healthy as fresh and may even retain their nutritional value longer.
Here are ways to incorporate Wyman’s wild blueberries into your holiday repertoire: (As you know my favorite Wild blueberry and cranberry smoothie.)
-Wild blueberry and cranberry smoothie before the big feasts
-Wild blueberry and butternut squash quinoa
-Wild blueberry chutney for the turkey
-Wild blueberry studded yams
-Wild blueberry, walnut and barley salad
Although, the holidays are ending, you can always incorporate Wyman’s fresh fruit into your regular diet all year long. I plan on making the wild blueberry, walnut and barley salad next. You can be like me, living a healthy lifestyle with heart healthy diet recipes by using Wyman’s fruits. I am very selective about the fruits I eat, because I do not eat fruit and making smoothies is primarily how I get my daily intake of fruit. I really enjoyed my smoothie. The berries were nice and big and they looked like fresh fruit although, they were in a frozen package. I do not know how many times I have purchased frozen fruit and decided frozen fruit was not the route to go and then I find myself in the fresh produce area. Wyman’s fruit looks fresh and tastes fresh. I and my family enjoyed it!
Here’s to a happy new year and a heart healthy life.
Disclosure: products/compensation was received in exchange for review.